Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 21:03:33 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR8150S + mach64 not happy

On Feb 10,  0:13, Doug White wrote:
} Subject: NCR8150S + mach64 not happy
} Hello!
}
} I just went on a buying binge and picked up some new hardware for my P90
} FreeBSD box.  I now have a Plextor 4.5X CD and a NCR8150S PCI-SCSI
} controller to go along with it (FINALLY found someone with it), plus a
} new ATI mach64 Graphics Pro Turbo.
}
} Excitedly, I plugged everything in, turned it on, reconfig'd the kernel,
} copied, and rebooted and...no workie.

Well, I already looked at your boot message log,
and it appears you did not configure an interrupt
for the PCI slot you placed the NCR card in ...

} When the NCR is in the machine, it insists on messing up the mach64.  The
} kernel comes up OK, but after the vga0 gets probed, I get nothing.  If I
} hit alt-F2, I get a continuous beep, which sticks until I have to
} reset-button the machine.  If I wait for the boot sequence to come all
} the way up (by the disk activity), I can jump between consoles, but the
} consoles aren't updated when I type on them.  I have to jump back and
} forth to see what I'm typing.  :(  And if I try to shutdown, the beeping
} commences and requires a reset button.
}
} I've tried hacking sio.c and removing the com4 probe, and removing
} everything except those two cards, but it still does it.
}
} I'll post a boot -v output in a moment, but I will note that the full DOS
} driver can't find the NCR either.  The mini driver works OK though.

Another indication you got a setup problem ...

} The thing that worries me most is that the NCR reports back "irq 255
} invalid".  In the broken DOS driver mentioned above, it reports back IRQ
} 95.

}  ncr0 <ncr 53c815 scsi> rev 3 int a irq 255 on pci0:13
}  	mapreg[10] type=1 addr=00004000 size=0100.
}  	mapreg[14] type=0 addr=81000000 size=0100
}  	reg20: virtual=0xf2e4f000 physical=0x81000000 size=0x100
}  	irq 255 invalid.  /* I don't like this */

And that's what makes the driver break ...

} That's the end right there...after it is the next reboot.

Well, I guess you just didn't wait long enough :)
The driver will continue to work at a very slow rate
without interrupts ...

} If someone could point me in the right direction here, I would be
} eternally grateful.

Well, just go into you PCI BIOS and make sure the
slot you placed the NCR card in has got an IRQ
assigned. Then reboot and enjoy :)

Let me know if you can't get it fixed tha way ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160