Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:42:42 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Enabling VIMAGE in GENERIC

On 17 Nov 2014, at 11:20 , Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:

> I think I understand your critique, but then on the other hand I =
wonder
> where the reluctance is.... As I read it, things are going to be =
enabled
> in CURRENT only (for the time). Which is exactly for the reasons you
> worry about: Is it going to be reliable enough??

No, the answer to that still is =93no=94 in it=92s current state and we =
know that.

I think one of the main problems is that no one has been able to pull =
the
thing to the end in the last three years.  Why should it happen within 6 =
weeks now?

I think it would be a really good idea to do that but the current TODO =
list,
I think, is by far not sufficing.

There=92s a second problem we=92ll hit in that same timeframe:  general =
network
stack breakage;  we=92ll hit the times when we=92ll not be sure if =
things broke
because of VIMAGE or are also broken in the normal network stack.   =
There=92ll
be a lot of regression test writing and debugging to be done.

That all said, I=92d like to see it happen as well, but I=92d love to =
have a lot
of the issues being addressed first before putting a date on it to =
enable
it in GENERIC in HEAD.

/bz

=97=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983