Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:00:42 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>, Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FreeBSD security work? Audit, regression and crypto swap?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000, Terje Elde wrote:
> > Personally, my big fear is my notebook computer.  I can encrypt data on it
> > using command line tools, but I'd much rather see a device layer that I
> > can use to protect both swap and sensitive partitions.  Swap could use a
> > randomized key, and mounting of data partitions could rely on a
> > user-provided key for the device layer.  A crypto-fs might be more fun,
> > but if we have the facility to layer device access, we might as well use
> > that for a quicky solution.  It's easy for someone to walk off with
> > personal computing devices -- in the office, at home, at the airport, ...
>
> For a "ugly hack, but up and running today" kinda solution, you could always
> do what I do... Use cfs (yes, the software tcfs is based on is running under
> freebsd, and is available in the ports collection) for your file systems, then
> swap to a file, on one of the encrypted file systems.
>
> It's not a pretty sight, but it does the job.

Whats wrong with a bdev io layer like vinum/ccd which does crypto?
Then you could swap and filesystem to your block devices to your hearts
content with whatever filesystem you wanted?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Now 17-year-olds can't play a _video game_
<adrian@FreeBSD.org>		because its called violent -