Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:16:49 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: malloc

Dan Nelson wrote:
> > The only calls to sbrk have a 0 argument.  This is only used to find
> > the segment end, so that the mmap's do not occur over top of anything
> > important.
>
> Ah, but take a look at the calls to brk, especially in map_pages() and
> free_pages().

How the anonymous pages (which I have already made reference to) are
explcitly obtained is irrelevent to the current discussion.

If you want me to be exact in terms of implementation details, on both
Linux and FreeBSD, I can do so.  That isn't the real purpose of the
current discussion.  The real purpose of this discussion is to defend
the choice of FreeBSD, rather than Linux, to users who are strong
advocates of Linux.

Any answers that don't provide *only* general details on the differences
between the systems which lead to the differences in performance behaviour
aren't really useful... in fact, they are counter-productive.

Yes, this is really nothing more than a "Linux shortage" discussion,
where someone has written some bogus code to demonstrate how terrible
the world is, without Linux everywhere.

I have a bad idea <insert "Bad Idea Dance" here>.

Why don't you explain how malloc works in excruciating implementation
detail, instead of why his program is failing on FreeBSD and not on
Linux, so that he gets no real useful comparative information out of
the resulting discussion, and everyone reading the archives thinks we
bury valid "Linux vs. FreeBSD" questions in technobabble, thus affirming
the validity of the original complaint to any third parties who are
later referred to the thread as an example of "Why FreeBSD sucks".

Then he can throw up his hands in surrender, because no one is willing
to speak in the abstract, instead of in terms of implementation details,
and switch over to Linux, as his users are demanding he do, since they
appear to spend their entire lives looking for degenerate cases that
they can use to advocate the the use of Linux in place of whatever other
software their administration happens to be using, because they are NOT
in fact users being prevented from doing their jobs, they are Linux
advocates *pretending* to be users being prevented from doing their
jobs by a "severe lack of Linux, God's One True Blessed OS".

Yes, technically, this discussion should be taking place on -advocacy,
but that's not where the question was asked, and it's not where the
discussion will be read, and it's not where the results will be archived.

And it's not the archive that will be referred to by future advocates
who want to make FreeBSD look bad.

Moving it will only serve the purpose of placing a question about FreeBSD
for which there is "apparently no good answer", for lack of an answer in
the archives of the forum (-hackers) in which the question was asked.

Thanks,
-- Terry