Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:25:27 +0100
From:      Tony Byrne <freebsd-current@byrnehq.com>
To:        Martin <nakal@nurfuerspam.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, twesky <twesky@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re[2]: ATA_DMA errors (and fs corruption!) (JM)

Hello Martin,

Monday, June 20, 2005, 9:09:15 PM, you wrote:

M> I just compiled the kernel from May 26th. Works fine. It looks like
M> for me it's broken between May 26th and May 30th.

M> I tried these kernels:
M> 2005-06-16 broken
M> 2005-05-31 broken
M> 2005-05-30 (00:00:00) broken
M> 2005-05-26 (00:00:00) ok
M> 2005-05-22 ok
M> 2005-05-15 ok
M> 2005-05-09 ok

M> The problem appears under heavy disk load.

There's definitely something up with the driver for the Intel ICH5
controller. I have second machine with the same chipset, this time a
desktop, which is exhibiting the same DMA timeout problem with its
SATA disk. It has a RELENG_5 kernel which was built from sources
updated yesterday.

Regards,

Tony.

--