Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:22:26 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Eric Wayte <ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Nik Clayton wrote:
> It's reasonable to want to control what get's called FreeBSD.

I never said it wasn't; I would just like to draw the
line on the far side of sysinstall being what shows
up first thing when you boot from a CDROM.

> The intent here is not to prevent third party installers --
> they can be open source, closed source, or whatever mix you
> want.  If you want to produce a commercial distribution of
> FreeBSD that does not use sysinstall as the default
> installation mechanism then go right ahead, make it the
> default, have it come up automatically when your customers
> boot from CD, and so on.
>
> However, if you want to call it FreeBSD, then, somewhere,
> sysinstall (and whatever replaces it) must be available.
> Put it on "boot-legacy.flp" if you want, and strongly urge
> your customers not to use it.  But make it available to
> those that want it.

This is amazingly more reasonable than previous posts,
which have all suggested that it must be possible to
boot the CDROM to sysinstall.  Effectively, doing so
would require that sysinstall take the front seat, and
that you put another text menu entry on it to pick
your installer.

> Then I can make sure that the Handbook chapter on installation says,
> right at the beginning:

I also understand the documentation issue.

Look, I've been programming professionally for ~22 years
now, and I didn't just step off the turnup truck: you'll
find my code in BSD all the way back to when I wrote the
FAQ and patchkit for 386BSD 0.1.  I know what professional
software developement, and consistency in presentation to
the user means for a product.

...Please look at it from the perspective of someone
willing to work on improving the initial impression
that FreeBSD leaves in a user's mind:  FreeBSD is
behind in the game from the start, since PCs come
installed with Windows, and without a seperate partition
that can be easily and immediately usable by a third
party OS.  It drops further behind because of the
difficulty of transferring experience over to using
the FreeBSD tools from people who have been trained up
in the Windows style guide.

I think that any attempt to make the initial experience
less painful will require a lot of work, and the ability
to license "Partittion Magic" or a similar tool, right
out of the box, and have it be the first thing people
see (or, preferrably, have it be one of the things that
people see, as seamlessly integrated into the overall
look and feel of the installation process as possible).

The "Partition Magic for FreeBSD" isn't going to happen
without $$$ being involved, I think.  Walnut Creek sold
a FreeBSD package that included one that ran under
Windows.  But the barrier to entry is still too high to
be able to capture a reasonable mindshare.

I _personally_ do not want to build such a distribution;
I think it would open up whoever did that to extreme
friction with the FreeBSD project: Hell, even the mere
act of contemplating such a thing has practically set
off a firestorm.  No Thanks!  I'll work on the periphery
problems, hopefully enabling someone else to do the deed.

Frankly, I don't see much of this work happening, unless
there is at worst nose-thumbing ande grudging cooperation
from the project.

As Jordan says: Walnut Creek CDROM is dead; someone has
to take up the mantle -- but not me... not today.  There
are too many people looking for a back to stick arrows
into, and I'm happy to let the indians focus their
scalping on Wind River Systems for now.

-- Terry