Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:11:06 +0000
From:      Michael Wells <michael@wells.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Soundblaster 64 PCI

Hi all,

I just got round to popping the lid on my machine and installing a
Soundblaster 64 PCI card. I already had pcm in my kernel. It's working,
but there are some Strange Things Happening.

Firstly, here's /dev/sndstat:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jan  5 2001 12:50:04
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xec00 irq 16 (1p/1r channels duplex)

(Aside: is that really the chipset on the Soundblaster 64?). I get kernel warnings since I installed the card:

Jan 14 13:00:15 sunrise /boot/kernel/kernel: pcm0: hwptr went backwards
2112 -> 1888

I'm using FreeBSD Current, built on 5 January 2001.

What I've got is some very strange sounds when I run mpg123 on a
standard MP3 file. It's going through /dev/dsp and appears to play the
samples at a very slow speed, with weird echoes. It's like a special
effect. Using the -a flag with mpg123 allows me to play through
/dev/audio, which sounds right except that it's distorted. At all
volume levels, the audio sounds overdriven, and I know this is not
due to impedance mismatches or faults elsewhere having used the card in
Linux with the same cabling arrangements, amplifier etc.

If this is a known problem, I'll stop for now and watch out for fixes.
If it's not the expected behaviour from the PCM driver though, can
anyone advise?

Regards
Michael

--