Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 11:54:27 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.unifi.it>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Subject:   Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...

> On 06-Jun-98 Mike Smith wrote about "Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...":
> > and then work out a mechanism to scan the 'compatible device ID'
> > descriptors (0x1c) and pretend that the device is one of these if the
> > first pass (try for an exact match on the device ID) fails.
>
> The code is working here. I have a few questions:

Qool!

> - I'm working on -stable, so someone else should take care of -current... [well
> this isn't really a question :-)]

Sure; shouldn't be too bad.

> - I would like to MFC some code (mainly isa.c 1.103 -> 1.104), but I understand
> that I should avoid mixing the diffs togheter. What do you suggest?

You're correct that the two should be separate.  Luigi has commit
access now I think, and failing that Eivind has practice in that area...

> Should I
> reply to my own PR (i386/6792) with just the Compatible Device ID patch and
> open a new PR to backport that isa.c change? The problem is that I need to
> change both isa.c and pnp.c at the same time to let that MFC work, so at the
> end of the game I need to change pnp.c twice.

You should submit your code as a PR stating that the diffs won't work
until the changes in 1.104 are merged.

> Should I fix/remove bogus/useless Vendor IDs from if_ed.c and sio.c?

Yes.

> - I still would like to remove that structure definition (edpnp_ids) from sio.c
> and if_ed.c to put it into pnp.h

This is the structure definition, or the initialisation?  By all means
move the definition.

> - talking about sio.c, I don't have anymore the SupraExpress internal modem, so
> I don't know what its Compatible Device ID looks like. There are a lot of
> possible definitions in devids.txt (see PNP0500 -> PNP0502, plus PNPCxxx ->
> PNPDxxx). I would be glad to everyone that sends to me its pnpinfo output...

If you don't have it, err on the side of caution. (That's kinda
obvious, really 8)