Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:12:40 -0500
From:      Brian Skrab <brian@quynh-and-brian.org>
To:        shs-bsd <shs-bsd@onlinehome.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LCD Displays with FreeBSD

Steffen,

I have recently installed a Matrix Orbital BLC2021-GW serial LCD kit,
and am using LCDproc to drive it.  I installed the LCDproc software from
the ports tree without any trouble whatsoever.  Configuration was
extremely simple as the distributed configuration file contains plenty
of comments to point you in the right direction.  The LCDproc hardware
compatibility page, maintained by the authors, contains a section
concerning Crystalfontz hardware.

I have no experience using USB nor graphical displays with this
software, so I cannot comment to its compatibility with them.  I chose
to use a serial display as it appears, from my research, to be the most
compatible hardware and I've no need for the extra speed provided by USB
(compatibility over "features").

Hope this helps.

~brian