Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:40:12 -0500
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Ion-Mihai Tetcu" <itetcu@apropo.ro>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: fetch fails, ftp works question

FBSD Friend
Since the fetch command does function for you, but some times you
get this message,
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

The "file not found" part you know is not true, because you have
used the same command where it does get the same named package.
SO it must be the "no access" part of the message that has meaning
for this execution of the command.

That means that the FTP server you are using is busy right them when
you are trying to access it. Like in max users exceeded.  Those FTP
servers are being beat on right now by people trying to get the bug
infested 5.2 .iso files.

I know the error message is not very clear, but that 's what it
means in your case. Bottom line is since the fetch command works
some times, it can not be fetch command syntax, ether the targeted
server is busy and just try again in 10 seconds, or the you have the
package name typed wrong and it's really not found as you have it
spelled.

The package names with the version number appended as an suffix is
intended for internal ftp server use.  The pkg_add -rv  command uses
the fetch command to get the latest version of the package by just
using the package name without the version number suffix.  The only
sure way to find the correct spelling of the pkg_add package name is
to FTP to the same path location as the pkg_add command uses and
manually find it your self. You will see that all the category
directories contain links to the "all" directory which contains the
packages with names that have the version suffix.  The "Latest"
directories which is where pkg_add is pointed, points back to the
"ALL" directory. The same directory tree architecture is used for
all the package-FBSD version directories. That way only an single
"All" directory is created and all FBSD version package directories
end up using the most current package available with the least
amount of work for the ftp site administrator.  It's all done using
link file commands.

One other gotya,  for native FBSD without any FTP environment
overrides, ftp defaults to active mode and fetch ftp defaults to
passive mode. You will get the "File unavailable (e.g., file not
found, no access)" message if your firewall is blocking FTP access.
Check out this web site for real good explanation of the 2 FTP
access modes  http://www.slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

I hope this gives you the insight you were desiring.

Joe