Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:43:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Einreinhof <montana@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Aironet an0 dhcp gateway question

I am having problems with my Cisco Aironet 350 card. I am running
5.0-Release. This card is in a Dell C840 laptop connecting to a Cisco
access point.

The card is detected and using a ifconfig_an0="ssid my_sid" line in
/etc/rc.conf. Running "ifconfig an0" confirms that the card is associated.

I manually run "dhclient an0" to obtain the info and again "ifconfig an0"
confirms the correct info has been provided.

I "ping 192.168.1.1" (the access point) and get results back. I then try
to ping a known valid address outside of my network. I get 100% packet loss.

Ok, maybe the default route didn't get added, so: "route add default
192.168.1.1". I get back "route: writing to routing socket: File exists
add net default: gateway 192.168.1.1: File exists". This tells me dhcp worked
correctly in the first place and added the gateway.

At this point I am stuck as to why packets aren't getting to the outside
network. With this laptop I have a second HD with XP loaded on it. The
card, access point, and XP work with no changes to them.

Currently, the access point is not running any type of authentication or
encryption except for the SSID until I can get this working correctly.

Also, what would I add to /etc/rc.conf to have dhcp done at boot? Would
this be correct: ifconfig_an0="DHCP"? Should the be after the ssid line?

Cheers
- Mark Einreinhof -

Arpa Member
montana@freeshell.org