Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 19:06:28 +877900
From:      dh2@netwalk.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        harpo@javanet.com (John D. Szumowski)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: app defaults not recognized...

John D. Szumowski:
 |I found some "app defaults" files that I wanted to use, so I downloaded
 |them and moved them to /usr/X11/lib/X11/x-defaults (i also have a
 |/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults link to this dir). Specifically, the files
 |were for Xcalc and Ghostview. However, neither app recognizes them.
 |Is there something else which needs to be enabled?
 |thanks.

(Assuming XFree86), the important X directories are all off /usr/X11R6
instead of /usr/*/X11 as on other platforms.  You can create convenience
links for them if you want:

        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 -> /usr/lib/X11
        /usr/X11R6/bin -> /usr/bin/X11

In particular, place your system-wide app-default files in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.  You can override this with
$XFILESEARCHPATH, but the packages assume you'll use this directory.  If
you've already installed the Ghostview package, it should already have put
its app-default file there, and Xcalc's should be there too.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com