Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:50:28 -0600
From:      "Andrei Cojocaru" <spinlock_lists@empirequest.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Question about light-weight mutex (kind of)

Hello,

I have a question, please include me in the reply specifically because I'm
not subscribed to the mailing list. Thanks

I want a thread to spin atomically on a value until it's equal to 1(i.e.
it's waiting for an event), how do I do that? I have no idea.. I want this
to be fast, not have to use a mutex each time to protect the value
I have an idea of how to do it using atomic assembly statements but I don't
want to use assmebly, I want to know if FreeBSD has built-in stuff for this.

Please help thanks.

This is required because I'm building R/W locks for a transaction system I'm
working on, and I need a way for a thread waiting on a lock to be notified
when a lock is gotten (and without having the thread block [that's why I
want it to spin]). Any hints would be appreciated thanks, once again.

----
Andrei Cojocaru
spinlock_lists@empirequest.com