Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2001 11:20:39 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Matt Peterson <matt@peterson.org>
Subject:   Re: Lucent Wavelan and 4.2 works like a charm.

On 06-Jan-01 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.31.0101050837510.10169-100000@moaner.org> Matt
> Peterson writes:
>: I imagine one day maybe the merge of an/wi/awi will follow, *shrug*.
>
> I don't any more than I see a merge of the ed, ep and sn drivers.
>
> Maybe we might want to have a better set of 802.11 routines, ala the
> if_ethersubr.c (if_80211subr.c), but to be honest I've not taken a
> close look at things to see if this makes sense or not.

From looking at how the awi driver and what I know the ray cards need it
would be very useful to have code to handle management packets. These
is needed for authentication etc. The drivers for aironet and wavelan
don't seem to do this stuff - I assume the firmware does on these. I think
that if we did do a common layer adding AP functionality would be
possible.

Another things that would be useful is a generic signal level and antenna
cache.

> Warner

Duncan

---