Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:21:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@sofia.csl.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gdb remote debugging on slow computers

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Peter Dufault wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > I want to attach a gdb running on my FreeBSD system to something
> > running on that wicked slow Sun.  I've built a gdb with a target
> > machine of "sparc-sun-solaris2.7", I've got an executable, but I
> > haven't found a way to run something on the Sun that I can attach
> > to in order to debug remote processes.  All I've found are ways to
> > connect to remote serial ports.  Does anyone know if I can easily
> > do this?
>
> I am not sure I understood your question. If you mean: How can I use
> gdb + gdbserver via a TCP connection, you do the following:

Yes, I've found gdbserver now, I didn't know about it.

There isn't a gdbserver for sparc-sun-solaris2.7 in the distribution,
after foolishly trying to quickly build one against libgdb that would
support any target I've just geocrawler archive-searched and
found patches specific to sparc-sun-solaris2* which I'll now try.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval