Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:58:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Desperate : make buildworld NEVER works!!!!!

> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:
>
> > It seems odd that we have had at least a half dozen reports of signal
> > 11s during buildworld over the past 3 days. I have the same problem
> > with my K6-2 system. The hardware has been rock solid for months, but
> > I now can't buildworld without a "signal 11" exactly as has been
> > reported here. Very suspicious, at least.

This may sound stupid, but have you checked your CPU fan lately?  My
primary machine at home (K6/2-300 at the time) ran great for forever, then
very suddenly started doing the sporadic signal 11 thing during "make
world".  Turns out the CPU fan had died.  It was hard to hear the
difference in a machine with 5 disks in it... :)

The same board did the same thing when I swapped out SIMMs for DIMMs and
forgot to reset the memory timings in the BIOS back to the defaults for
the new memory.

Mike Andrews (MA12) * mandrews@dcr.net * http://www.bit0.com/
VP, sysadmin, & network guy, Digital Crescent Inc, Frankfort KY
Internet services for Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Owenton, Shelbyville
www.fark.com: If it's not news, it's Fark.  (Or something like that.)