Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 16:45:42 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting two sites with fiber

>I've got a fiber connection between two buildings and need to setup
>networks in each building so they can talk to each other at full-duplex
>fast ethernet speeds.
>
>I know very little about fiber connections.  The fiber cables are
>labeled as follows:
>
>  Chromatic Technologies 800 series 62 5/125 Optical Fiber Cable per
>  article 770 Type OFNP (UL) CSA LL82385 Type OFN-FT6 75C
>
>What is this telling me?  Can I setup a FreeBSD router box on each
>end with fiber (FDDI?) interfaces to each other?  Is a switch on
>each side an easier solution?  Will this cable even support 100Mbps
>full-duplex speeds between the two networks?

You didn't say how far the fiber run is, but if it's not too far you
can easily run 100Mbps full duplex ethernet between a pair of switches.
If your switches don't have fiber ports then you need a pair of media
converters to convert 100 BaseFX to 100 BaseTX.  FX is fiber, TX is
copper.  Put one at each end between the switch and the fiber.  You can
find these at DataComm Warehouse (warehouse.com) or probably any number
of other vendors.  62.5/125 is your garden variety multi-mode fiber.
Make sure your media converters are spec'd for that fiber type.  There
are others.

-Mitch