Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:52:27 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall of 20000214 snap hangs

> I just tried installing the 2/14 4.0 snap onto a Cyrix MediaGX-based
> box, and the sysinstall hung at the "probing devices" phase.
>
> Because the 3.4 sysinstall works just fine on this box, and because
> the last thing I see on the debug screen (ttyv1) is
>
> 	DEBUG: Found a disk device named ad0
>
> I'm inclined to cast a suspicious eye toward Soren's new IDE driver :-).

8)  At that point, it's actually more or less finished with the IDE
drive, actually, so it's probably not that.

> I realize the information I've provided so far is unlikely to be
> sufficient to diagnose, much less remedy, the problem; but I'm not
> not sure what to do next.  I'm happy to work with anyone who'd
> like to take a closer look at this.

Debugging these is often actually really painful, because it's hard to
tell where exactly you're hung up.  You might try hitting a key on the
main sysinstall screen (don't laugh), as well as checking for peripherals
that are wedged in an active state (eg. CDROM if it's not already listed
as found).

Then you might also try disabling any devices in the kernel config that
aren't actually present in your system (eg. second IDE channel, random
ethernet interfaces especially).