Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:00:51 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        rdkeys@csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2-STABLE

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:45:14 -0700
David Greenman <dg@root.com> wrote:

dg>    No, that is not what -stable is. The current head of each major
dg> branch that releases are cut from (e.g. 2.1.x, 2.2.x, and
dg> eventually 3.0.x) are refered to as "-stable" after the first
dg> release is cut. The designation -stable means "more stable than
dg> the most recent release on this branch".

So would it be useful to create a CVSup target called "STABLE" or
"STABLE_2_2" instead of "RELENG_2_2"?

The RELENG and descriptions I've seen in the CVSup docs make it sound
like it's the engineering release leading *up* to 2.2-RELEASE, rather
than 2.2-RELEASE plus bug/security fixes which would make it stable.

Sorry, I really didn't want to open up a can o' worms on this one again...