Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:34:53 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SecureRPC/NFS, kerberized NFS

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:05:49PM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My question is very simple.
>
> Does FreeBSD, either 4.7/4.8 or 5.0 support SecureRPC, especially SecureNFS?
> I found the keyserv facility, installed the databases and read some note
> in mknetid(8):
>
> -n netid_file
>      Specify the location of the netid information file.  The com-
>      piled-in default is /etc/netid.  Note that no error is generated
>      if the netid database can't be found.  The netid database is not
>      likely to be present on most systems until Secure RPC support is
>      added to FreeBSD.
>
> For me that sounds like FreeBSD does not have SecureRPC support and therefore
> no SecureNFS support.
>
> My intention is that I wish to setup a secure NFS environment with FreeBSD's
> basics and had neither success with SecureRPC nor KERBEROS V. In that part
> FreeBSD lacks in appropriate documentation, but may netsources told that
> securing via SecureRPC and/or kerberos should be possible.
>
> Can someone give me a hint or confirm the lack of SecureRPC in recent FreeBSD
> versions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Oliver

Dunno if it quite covers what you want, but there is a package called
SNFS, details here http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/snfs/.

The page says that it is known to work with FreeBSD.

If your servers and clients are all running the BSD implementation of
NFS, they can run over TCP and therefore can be tunnelled over SSH
without the aid of any third party extensions or apps.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \