Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:30:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        devans@hclb.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot2 no longer displays a prompt

In message: <20030112191930.E499-100000@hclb.demon.co.uk>
            Dave Evans <devans@hclb.demon.co.uk> writes:
:
: On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message: <1042319907snx@hclb.demon.co.uk>
: >             devans@hclb.demon.co.uk (Dave Evans) writes:
: > : At bootup, boot2 is the program which displays a - sign on the console
: > : and if you hit the space bar it comes up with a prompt allowing you to
: > : change the drive and partition of the loader program, e.g.
: > : ad(0,e)/boot/loader.
: > :
: > : At least that's how it used to work. Nowadays, judging from my current
: > : of October 20, 2002, the - sign is no longer displayed and boot2 goes
: > : straight through to the loader.
: > :
: > : Is this a bug, perhaps fixed, or has the prompt been taken out to make
: > : room for UFS2 code?  I've looked through the commit logs and there
: > : is nothing to indicate the prompt has been taken out.
: >
: > It appears that we set autoboot to 1.  If there is a /boot.config and
: > we cannot parse it, we set it to 0.  When set to 0 we prompt.
: > However, it looks like there might be a bug, or it might be a boot0cfg
: > issue:
: >
:
: I put -z in /boot.config as an illegal option, in the hope
: that it would disable autoboot.  It does, the prompt is now displayed,
: but it does not allow you to type anything in. Even a carriage return
: has no effect. The result is you cannot boot at all.
:
: *** warning: do not try this unless you have a way of restoring
: boot.config :-(

Which makes sense, given the rest of the analysis.  You'll need new
boot blocks to fix it.

Warner