Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:53:18 +0100
From:      Dom Mitchell <dom@phmit.demon.co.uk>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and syslog.conf

On 12 October 1998, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group proclaimed:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Those who are reading freebsd-security, already saw this.
> > For others, briefly:
> > There was a question and few followups about the syslogd
> > which doesn't allow to have spaces between the first and the second
> > field in /etc/syslog.conf .
> > (this is a feature of syslogd in some (or all ?) other Unices).
> > Only <tab>s are allowed.
>
> Having had a chance to think about this, I think that a modification of
> this nature, which would make syslogd somewhat incompatible, e.g. not
> the same as, syslogd's on other UNIX systems, a name change should also
> be considered.  In keeping with tradition, this new syslogd should be
> called nsyslogd.

Sadly, this is exactly the reason that sun systems still have
/usr/bin/awk as a useless pile of junk and /usr/bin/nawk as the
useful option for those who want it.  Ditto for their out of date
Korn shell.  As a freely available operating system, we have a lot
more flexibility than commercial vendors and we should use that
flexibility to innovate.

There is a *lot* of stuff in FreeBSD that is better than the
``standard unix'' equivalent.  I for one would be happy to see
syslogd fixed in this manner.  Particularly as the proposed added
functionality is totally backwards compatible within FreeBSD.
Provided that we note the addition well in the release notes & man
pages, I feel that this change should go ahead.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator
"Xerox studies suggest that most people print out electronic mail