Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: transaction ordering in SCSI subsystem

So what exactly gets ordered and how do things get tagged?

I tried following this in the code from VOP_STRATEGY and never quite
figured it out.  Basically when you do a write are you just tagging the
data writes along with the metadata writes and then sequencing them so
that they have to complete in a given order?  And can operations with
different tags be mixed around randomly?

Also, how does the feedback from the SCSI controller that the write
completed get used by the O/S (and the corollary being how does IDE write
caching lying about completion affect the O/S and the data integrity)?