Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 12:13:04 -0800
From:      balger@ecst.csuchico.edu
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Cyrix Tweaks

> This `cyrix optimizer' catches my curiosity. If what it does is
> documented, or better yet, if you have its source available; I would
> suggest you to integrate its optimizations into the FreeBSD kernel. If
> I had a cyrix CPU, I would do it.

hmm, just curious, why does this need to be in the kernel?
at least for the 6x86 ( which is what i'm running ), most (if not all?) of
the cyrix optimization can be done in user space since you are just tweaking
the configuration registers.
it is pretty easy to write a userland program that sets the registers to
the desired value (open /dev/io , {read,write}_cyrix_reg ).

i have a 6x86MX 200 that is working fine with such a setup.

balger@ecst.csuchico.edu