Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:42:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        A G F Keahan <ak@freenet.co.uk>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some VMware progress. More questions (was Re: latest VMware port  dumping core. )

[ On Tuesday, July 25, A G F Keahan wrote: ]

> Have you tried booting Win98 in safe mode?

Hmmmm. No, I haven't tried safe mode. I was just thrilled it booted in
general. Without setting up one of their contrived "boot menu things" under
windows, the only way I can go into Safe mode is by booting, then "shutting
down" into safe mode, correct (I certainly don't know 100% of the in's and
out's of windows ... just enough to install it to make my wife happy :).

> First of all, run it in full-screen (DGA) mode, if your adapter supports
> it.   This would speed things up immensely.   Here I'm running WinNT on

Hmmm. Well, when I installed VMware and brought it up initially it went into
full screen mode and then back into window'ed mode. So, I know I've seen it do
it but when I tried last night it told me it couldn't for whatever reason (I
had not installed VMware tools yet of course). Not helpful I know, but I'm at
work and don't have the dialog box to stare at. I will certainly explore more
tonight!

> a Pentium III 600 with 256Mb of RAM, and no-one can tell the difference
> between VMWare and the real thing.   Once our local NT sysadmin had to
> use my computer, and after 30 minutes he still didn't notice anything
> unusual -- LOL!   In fact, access to the disk and CD-ROM seems to be

*THAT* is what I'm looking for :) ... so, I know it's possible ... I just
gotta figure out the knobs.

> This is probably because your / partition is full.  VMWare creates a
> large file in /tmp (slightly larger than the amount of RAM you
> specified), which you can't see because it's unlink()ed.  You could try
> symlinking /tmp to /var/tmp or another location that has more disk
> space, and see if the problem persists.

Nope, I took care of that. My /tmp is a partition unto itself which is 1Gb in
size.

> Hope this helps

Me too :)

I had asked before--is there some site somebody is building to collect
fragments of information regarding VMware under FreeBSD? I mean the .Hints
file is helpful but some scenarios would be useful too. The vmware site's FAQ
is approaching useless because in their linux-only world, they assume that so
long as you have nice IDE hardware that you install their stuff and it all
just magically works because it's Linux (probably true). If there isn't such a
site for Vmware under FreeBSD, I'd be happy to collect words of wisdom,
sample configurations, etc. and organize it some sort of fashion. Send me
those such items people and I'll do it! :)

-Jr