Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:43:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com>
To:        Joseph.Warner@siemens.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS

On  3 Jun, Warner Joseph wrote:

> He wants me get a CVS server running in our production
> environment.  We have an existing FreeBSD server (4.5 -STABLE)
> that's used primarily as a web application server but I don't want it
> to be used as a CVS server.  So, I plan to do a fresh install of
> FreeBSD 4.5, upgrade it to the latest -STABLE branch and set it
> up as the CVS server.
>
> I know the basics of using CVS but I've never configured a CVS
> server before.  I'm not asking for any HOWTO's but I was wondering
> if there were any minimum hardware requirements for what I want to

A CVS server is mainly a file server. Therefore you can use the same
requirements used for a web server or an nfs server. ( numbers of
connections / number of file to share...)
In fact more a web server than an nfs server because if users have their
own disk space, they will work on a local copy of the files.

Not that this is totally different while using Clearcase: it uses its
own filesystem so every file access goes through it => huge disks! a lot
of memory, a wide bandwidth and tons of patience because whatever
hardware you use, it will always be slower.

Ph°1