Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:35:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> What RAID level are you using?  There are significant differences (on the
> smart array controller at least) between the block read and write results=
=2E
> With the SCSI->IDE controller, oddly, the write results are faster than t=
he
> read results.

RAID5. I don't have a lot of experience with RAID, so I don't know if the
number of disks have an influence on the result (12 80GB IDE disks in the
SCSI/IDE array, 8 72GB disks in the Compaq array).

> What does dmesg say about the card?  From looking at the driver, it looks
> like the "max outstanding commands" value that is printed out on boot wil=
> tell us how many outstanding transactions the card claims to support.

Ok:

ciss1: <Compaq Smart Array 5300> port 0x3000-0x30ff mem
0xf7e00000-0xf7efffff,0x
f7fc0000-0xf7ffffff irq 3 at device 4.0 on pci7
ciss1: using 256 of 1024 available commands
ciss1:   1 logical drive configured
ciss1:   firmware 1.76
ciss1:   2 SCSI channels
ciss1:   signature 'CISS'
ciss1:   valence 1
ciss1:   supported I/O methods 0xe<simple,performant,MEMQ>
ciss1:   active I/O method 0x3<simple>
ciss1:   4G page base 0x00000000
ciss1:   interrupt coalesce delay 1000us
ciss1:   interrupt coalesce count 0
ciss1:   max outstanding commands 1024
ciss1:   bus types 0x2<ultra3>
ciss1:   server name ''
ciss1:   heartbeat 0x20000022
ciss1: 1 logical drive
ciss1: logical drive 0: RAID 5, 416768MB online

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/