Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:21:07 -0700
From:      Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail default run state

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> Nope. Most MUAs these days talk SMTP for submission. And SMTP submission
> will become even more common. If you need DNSs or message tracking you
> must inject using SMTP.

I think Lyndon is right on this.  I've been doing a survey of mailling list
processor software trying to get some gpg based mailing lists up
and all of the ones that I looked at that had code available used SMTP
injection even on the local machine.  It's just one mileage point but it
supports his assertion.

> With the introduction of the SUBMIT profile for SMTP you'll see
> most sites eventually migrate to requiring message injection via port
> 587.

Do you have a ref for this?

cheers,
--dr