Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 05:51:00 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        gh <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE

gh said on Jun  3, 2000 at 13:26:46:

> > > What a silly question.
> > > For an operating system to have an ``undelete'' option, the OS must
> maintain
> > > a copy of the deleted files...which defeats the purpose of deleting the
> damn
> > > files.
> >
> > man 2 undelete
> >
> > Basically, a delete/rm command doesn't physically erase data from the
> > disk, it only removes the file entry. The data may still be there if
> > you're lucky.  I don't know what the issues are with ufs, however.
> > With an msdos filesystem it's pretty straightforward to get the data
> > back if that hard disk space hasn't been written over in the meantime.
> >

> True, but in order to have a *guaranteed*(mostly) recovery of the file, a
> journaling file system or something similar would be necessary.

We're not talking about guaranteed recovery -- that's not possible
on MSDOS either.  (Incidentally, the undelete command on MSDOS wasn't
originated by Microsoft -- I think it was Peter Norton. Microsoft
didn't include it with their OS for several years.)

There's an undeletion how-to for linux ext2 filesystems,
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.html
those aren't journalled either.  The procedure requires unmounting
and stuff like that, definitely not for ordinary users.  Still,
undeleting is not impossible in principle, and if it can be
implemented in a better way I don't see what's wrong with that.

> > > Everybody makes mistakes; it is *NOT* the job of the operating system
> > > to pick up the poopoo left after the mistake.
> >
> > But it helps...
> >

> ...so does learning from mistakes.

So a text editor shouldn't have an undo command either, because
then people would learn to type without mistakes?

Nobody deletes an important file because they're confident of
undeleting it later, not even windows users.  It's always an
accident and it can happen to the best people.

R.