Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 16:28:07 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   New kernel option proposed..

Speak now or forever hold your peace, as they say..

Stefan Esser would like an option which he can use to conditionalize
code to be "conservative" in the case where you're first installing.
There is a good deal of other code that could probably also benefit
from the ability to say "run this code if you care more about function
than speed."

In former times we used the GENERIC keyword to do stuff like this, but
that was clearly gross.  Stefan and I have tossed the idea around and
come up with the keyword FAILSAFE as a reasonable proposal.
CONSERVATIVE is probably just a bit too long, and people will probably
think that you enable it in order to get your kernel to vote
Republican anwyay.. :-)

Comments?  Jeers?  If not, I'll commit it to LINT.

					Jordan