Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 20:28:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        dmorrisn <dmorrisn@u.washington.edu>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, James Love <love@cptech.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

> If you're unwilling to make the obvious and trivial mental connections
> required to comprehend the information I presented in my message, it's
> not MY problem.

It's interesting that you should say something like this, because I
myself was just puzzling over the great disparity between your recent
postings on the mailing lists (or your usenet contributions) and your
print advocacy.  When you're writing for the likes of Sm@rt Reseller,
for example, you seem to understand just fine where the right balance
between passion and logic lies and you generally make a pretty
convincing argument which manages both to be readable and to convey
the information you're trying to impart to the reader.  As a body of
communication, what you've done for print journalism has been just fine
and is to be commended.

When it's time to go home to your PC, however, you apparently drop
your logic cap into a desk drawer and lock the door, off to give the
more passionate side of your nature a turn in the uninhibited disco
lights of various public mailing lists.  Unsubstantiated claims and
general invective fly like emotional harpoons, and you exhibit none of
the usual care which distinguishes your press work in actually trying
convince the reader through meaningful argument.  It's all "I'm mad as
hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" [with apologies to
"Network"].

Such a presentation style is as unfortunate as it is ineffective, and
if you're trying to "sell" any idea to a bunch of mailing list readers
it's truly no different than trying to sell the readers of Sm@rt
Reseller on something (like FreeBSD).  In both cases you have a
semi-skeptical audience who's ready to be won over by convincing
argument, and someone just mindlessly venting his spleen over
something is not likely to fill the bill unless they're also capable
of being highly amusing about it (e.g. they're Dennis Miller, Dave
Barry or P.J. O'Rourke).

As a journalist, you also already know full well that it's part of
every communicator's responsibility to communicate *effectively*, not
to immediately blame the audience for their inability to convey an
argument, and for every audience there is also an appropriate style.
If you're standing in front of 10,000 brownshirts at a Nurenberg
rally, for example, then it's probably a reasonable thing to shout
passionately and maybe spray a little spittle from time to time.  If
you're addressing the International Brotherhood of Accountants, on the
other hand, then I don't think that sort of presentation style would
go over all that well.  A goofy example, to be sure, but I think the
point remains: If it's your intention to communicate anything more
substantive than "if you see one of my messages, hit delete to avoid
the heat" then I'd say that you are failing to do so.  Given that I
already know you're more than capable of communicating more
effectively than this, it is also a highly avoidable failure.

I am willing to be convinced that we can do better with the resources
currently available, but not by arguments which esteem passion over
logic.

- Jordan