Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:35:08 -0500
From:      Chen Xu <xuc@mcbi-34.med.nyu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sth wrong with my 4.0, hardware problem??????

Dear All,

I have been using FreeBSd since 2.2.7. Recently I upgraded my
motherboard and CPU. They are VA-503+ and AMD K6-2 3D 500. 256M PC100
SDROM. Two WD HDD. One is brand new 45gig and the other is old 8.4gig,
also WD. Both HDD are in the same primary IDE channel. I was trying to
install 4.0 which is running perfectly in my another 486 machine. Here
are the info which could be related to my problem.

1) I have to disable UDMA for the Primary IDE master drive (45gig),
ortherwise the whole machine could not work properly. I believe there
are some ide controller issues here.

2) Fresh install of 4.0 successful. But after reboot, with gereric
kernel, the sysinstall see both wd and ad devices like below
	wd0
	wd1
	ad0
	ad1

3) dmesg show two drives there running UDMA 33. Looks perfectly normal.
The kernel did detect the both drivers!!!

It sees my CPU correctly, running at 501.14Mhz.

4) next day when I turn on the machine, sysinstall could not see the ide
drives at all!??? dmesg still shew the both drives were detected at
booting.

5) I tried to make world to see if that helps, but could complete the
make buildworld. It stops at different places (I tried it several
times), most of the error messages were something like

====
internal compiler errors: last line is not the last of the file etc..
====

I strongly suspect there were hardware issues here, but no clue where to
check.

Any suggestion??

--
Chen