Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 1996 23:33:12 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to keepalive a sick ppp process?

Hi

I have just retired my old ka9q/386.16 router in favour of using my
name/kerberos/web server as a gateway.

I am using iijppp (damn fine program!), but every now-and-then it dies
on me. Last time it was a sig4 (Illegal instruction). I do not have the
time to hack in this right now, so I am looking for a workround.

I am running current (about a week or so old), and I would appreciate
any experiences from anyone who has written scripts or other kludges
that re-awaken dead daemons.

Has anyone done this? Code that notices that any daemon (innd, ppp, etc)
has died and restarts a new one would help. If not, I guess I invent the
wheel!

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key