Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:12:41 -0500
From:      Louis-Philippe Alain <xenub@boisfrancs.qc.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   .htaccess and mod_rewrite

I have a CGI script the I want to be executed as soon as someone get
"http://www.boisfrancs.qc.ca/"... But I don't want to make CGI script
execution available everywhere... I tried to make a test with the
".htaccess" file in a simple user dir. Here's what I wrote:

------------

<Directory /~xenub/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

RewriteEngine  on
RewriteBase    /~xenub/
RewriteRule    ^index\.html$  /cgi-bin/redirection.cgi
[T=application/x-httpd-cgi]

It worked fine! (I have mod_rewrite module compiled in apache, a blank
index.html document in /~xenub/ and my CGI script is called
/cgi-bin/redirection.cgi... The problem is when I try this .htaccess into
the / dir of my web server... Nothing happen... index.html is loaded but
not rewrited to /cgi-bin/redirection.cgi... The only thing I changed in the
.htaccess file was "/~xenub/" for "/". What else have I to do?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Louis-Philippe Alain