Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:22:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=E1n_C=2E_Farley?= <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
To:        Arne Schwabe <arne@rfc2549.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vertikal and Horizontal Scroll of (mighty) mice

--0-541147919-1124994130=:4372

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Arne Schwabe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got myself myself a shiny white Mighty Mouse from Apple.
>
> I now have the Problem that Wheel if the scrolling to left and right.
> I fixed this by teaching ums.c to prefer WHEEL over Z but it would be
> nice to support both wheel and z axis scrolling. I checked the
> mouse(4) but the dataformat there does not even support a forth axis.
> Hacking ums.c to map z axis to buttons 7 and 8 would be possible, but
> not a clean solution. Another Option would be to add a z2 axis or
> something tothe SYSMOUSE format.
>
> What are your opinion?

I have an MX1000[1] from Logitech with many buttons and a wheel.  The
wheel can scroll up and down and "click" left and right.  The PS/2
driver did not support enough of its buttons which caused moused to not
see all of the buttons.  I recommend looking at this first link since it
details one way of setting up a mouse with many buttons.

I used the ums driver, but I had to enable more buttons in the
driver[2].  You may need that patch to use it fully, but I do not know
how many logical buttons you have.

In X, you will need to configure the mouse with xmodmap.  Here is my
line to my mouse to do most of what I want.  It moves the paste action
to the button above the wheel instead of the click of the wheel.

xmodmap -e "pointer =3D 1 7 3 9 10 6 2 8 4 5 11 12"

Here is the mouse in xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"