Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:43:40 -0400
From:      "JoeB" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Daemon" <daemon@foxchat.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stray IRQ 7 problem.

Stray irq 7 messages

The FBSD FAQ says

5.24. What does ``stray IRQ'' mean?

Stray IRQs are indications of hardware IRQ glitches, mostly from hardware
that removes its interrupt request in the middle of the interrupt request
acknowledge cycle.

One has three options for dealing with this:

* Live with the warnings.
  All except the first 5 per irq are suppressed anyway.

* Break the warnings by changing 5 to 0 in isa_strayintr()
  so that all the warnings are suppressed.

* Break the warnings by installing parallel port hardware that uses irq 7
and the PPP driver for it (this happens on most systems), and install an ide
drive or other hardware that uses irq 15 and a suitable driver for it.

To stop the annoying bogus stray irq 7 messages you can hack the source
where these messages originate from and change the counter value 5 to 0 so
the messages will no longer be issued.

isa_strayintr lives in  /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/intr_machdep.c

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/
cp intr_machdep.c intr_machdep.c.org  # make bkup of original
ee intr_machdep.c

Find isa_strayintr to locate start of stray irq 7 logic

change this

        if (intrcnt[1 + intr] <= 5)

To  this

        if (intrcnt[1 + intr] <= 0)

Recompile your kernel source and those stray irq 7 messages are gone.
Document this some place for your self just in case you reinstall from
cdrom.