Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 18:30:53 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, Phil R <t3xt@sympatico.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cannot burn a CD with burncd

Nils Holland writes:
> On 24 Nov 2001, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>
> > Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> writes:
> >
> > > You will need to
> > > make an ISO image out of the files you want to burn before you can
> > > actually burn them.
> >
> > I must be disagreeable again.  Here's my notes on a raw-file backup and
> > verify which I did last January (using afio instead of tar):
>
> Yes, of course that works. *But* most users seem to expect that the CDs
> they burn can be mounted and read from, i.e., they expect their burned CDs
> to hehave like "normal" CDs (if that makes sense, but I guess you know
> what I mean). People tend to think that they can do

Point taken but the original posting wasn't having problems reading,
the problem was in writing:

Phil R <t3xt@sympatico.ca> said:
> I have those errors on two BSD boxes with two different CDR!!! (Yamaha
> 2200 20/10/40 and an old HP)
>
> #burncd -t -s4 -f  /dev/acd0c data something.tar.gz fixate (or
> different  speed)
>
> next writeable LBA 0
> writing from file something.tar.gz size 218 KB
> written this track 220 KB (100%) total 220 KB
> fixating CD, please wait..
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

Phil, in spite of the write errors, try "tar -tvzf /dev/acd0c" and see
if it can read the disk all the way to the end of the file you wrote.

And as others have suggested, try wrapping the file in an iso9660 fs to
see if that makes any difference. I don't have a clue as to whether or
not fixating a disc requires some sort of valid reference into prior
data written or exactly what is involved.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net