Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 1995 10:46:40 -0700
From:      Tony Jones <tony@thing.sunquest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot manager question

I've read the diskspace.faq and all other related docs, but have a question
on how to configure the FreeBSD boot manager.

When FreeBSD is marked active (0x80) in the MBR, and control is transferred
to the FreeBSD boot sector, where is the configuration loaded from ? (i.e
the list of bootable areas)

Does the FreeBSD boot manager go back and re-read the MBR displaying the
other bootable slices ? and when one is selected basically transfer control
to the disc are specified in the MBR.

I know Linux has a ascii configuration file, and thus I was expecting an
equivalent for FreeBSD, but I guess not.

Is the answer to the above documented anywhere ?

-----

My other question:

Currently, I am 100% scsi (2 discs, NCR controller).

If I add a IDE disc, will the system always attempt to boot from this disc
i.e I will have to install the FreeBSD boot manager on the IDE disc ?

System is a ASUS P55TP4XE.

thanks

tony