Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 15:31:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        uunet!time.throck.com!jkh (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mikebo (Mike Borowiec), mrm@mole.mole.org, bugs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nameserver install glitch

Jordan wrote:
> Mike Borowiec wrote:
> > Is a nameserver mandatory?
>
> It is for now. :-(
>
> It never used to be, but some bug crept in which has now made it a
> mandatory field.  I've looked through the code in question several
> times and can't reproduce any nameserver variable related crashes in
> multiuser mode (and its value is checked for NULL everywhere it's
> used).  It's very strange.  Anyway, I'm certainly going to try and fix
> it but, up to now, have been too busy with other things to set up the
> kind of testing environment I could both reproduce and debug the
> problem with - if I can't reproduce this running multiuser, I have to
> add debugging code for the purpose. :-(
>
> > Anyway, I'm trying to do a load via NFS, and spec'ed the server like so:
> > 198.102.156.5:/usr/FreeBSD. It shouldn't need a nameserver. What to do?
>
> Enter a nameserver value then nuke your /etc/resolv.conf when you
> come up.

Done. Works like a champ! Thanks for the quick response (as always ;v).
Regards,
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
708-512-8211  FAX: 708-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA