Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:19:52 +0000
From:      Richard Smith <rdls@rdls.net>
Subject:   Wierd problem with dhclient and it's scripts

Dear all,

I have been using dhcp to configure my notebook, and dhclient-exit-hooks
to start/restart certain resources such as apache and timed, whenever
the
attached network changes.

I have been plagued by "dhclient: Can't bind to dhcp address: Address
already in use" errors whenever the notebook is resumed, and I have just
sussed out what's going on.

Any program started from dhclient-exit-hooks is inheriting a couple of
open udp
sockets (one on port 68, and one unbound, this according to
sockstat(1)). So when dhclient is killed and restarted (during a suspend
and resume) it finds other processes ostensibly using it's port.

One work-around is a trivial patch to the contributed dhclient code tree
to set the close-on-exec flag for the offending fds. I was wondering if
anyone else has encountered this problem, already fixed it, or got a
better/alternative solution. I am using 4.2-RELEASE.

Regards,
Richard.