Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:59:41 -0600
From:      "John Nielsen" <john@jnielsen.net>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <perky@freebsd.org>
Subject:   status of spamass-milter port

Due to my own experience and a recent thread on -stable, I'm wondering about
the status of the spamass-milter port.  I have a FreeBSD (4.6-RELEASE-p2)
mailserver that runs the stock sendmail.  I have also installed and am
running spamd (p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-2.30) and spamass-milter
(spamass-milter-0.1.1_1), both installed from the ports.  Much of the time
it works as expected.  However, any time I get several messages at once (or
in a very short period of time), the spam filtering hangs (and I think the
problem is with the milter, but I wouldn't swear to it).  For me this
happens regularly at 3:00 am when the "daily run output" from some other
machines comes in.  Others have reported the same problem and some
workarounds (see the recent thread on -stable with the subject "Hang problem
with spamass-milter...").

So, my questions are these:

Is this a known issue that's being worked on already?  If so, is this
particular problem in any way unique to FreeBSD?  Does one of our fine port
maintainers have any correspondence with the (new) maintainer of this
project?  Is there a new official version of spamass-milter forthcoming that
addresses this issue (and presumably others)?  The current workaround seems
to be to build the latest sources with patch 349 from GNU's spamass-milter
project page.

If it's not already being worked on, what additional information should I
include in a PR?

Obviously, it would be a great improvement if one could install the port and
have it "just work" without futzing around with manually applying patches.
The problem is most likely in the main source code, so a FreeBSD-specific
patch may not be the best way to go.  A possible stop-gap solution might be
to add something like a "WITH_INTERIM_PATCHES=yes" to the port's Makefile
that would fetch and apply the relevant (GNU) patches before building the
port.

Programming is not my forte, but I'd be more than happy to help with
testing, etc.  And I do plan to file a PR unless someone tells me it's a bad
idea. :)

Comments appreciated.  Please CC me on replies as I'm not subscribed
to -ports.

JN