Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:17:16 EST
From:      TM4525@aol.com
To:        josh@hewbert.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-RC1 - Hangs on high net load(?)

> Are you certain that its not NFS that's locking up? Certainly the use
> of NFS muddies the issue, as it doesnt like losing packets and isn't
> very eloquent in its handling of adversity.

"I'm positive. The machine itself locks up. I cannot ctrl+alt+del, can't
switch VCs; it freezes.  NFS isn't necessarily a part of the problem
anyway.  Just general net load seems to do it. For example, if I start
multiple downloads with using Bittorent.  I haven't narrowed the issue
down terribly far, though.  It did not hang while grabbing an ISO via
HTTP at ~300 KBps.  It does, however, hang when there's significant load
and Bittorent is part of the formula. But it doesn't _always_ hang when
using it."

Have you ruled out livelock?