Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 03:15:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <anthony.kimball@east.sun.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd is ill? syslogd is anemic?

Quoth Eivind Eklund on Sat, 10 October:
: This is a known, OLD bug.  It was one of the bugs introduced or
: exposed by John Dysons changes to the VM system.  He was working on
: this at the time he left, if I understood correctly.

Thanks.  I can confirm that you have correctly diagnosed the problem,
in as much as killing and restarting inetd stopped it from happenning
to inetd -- the disease moved on to syslogd.  Similarly, restarting
syslogd fixed that, and a few hours later it moved on to sendmail.
Restarting sendmail has kept it away for the past hour or two.

: My machine is a PPro-based box - I don't know if this matter.  I seem
: to remember it also happening after I upgraded to 80MB; I know it
: happened when I had 64MB, at least.

Mine is dual PPro 64MB as well, so this config is likely to make it
easier to reproduce.  Meanwhile, I think I'll upgrade my memory
(as Garrett Wollman suggested) after all, and see if it goes away --
although like as not a kernel update and recompile will suffice.