Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 14:06:40 -0400
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/18874: 32bit NFS servers export wrong negative values to 64bit clients

You, Alexander Langer, were spotted writing this on Mon, May 29, 2000 at 11:00:08AM -0700:

>  > Bummer, scenario C shouldn't work at all -- can you check? But this
>  > isn't your case, your case is scenario B IIRC -- and the conversion
>  > should work fine, my patch corrects the problem which might happen
>  > because the value gets divided before the third stage, when the compiler
>  > still thinks it's unsigned 64bit.
>
>  I'll test soon. At the moment I'm building world. I'll also try the
>  quad_t cast instead of the long cast.

Ah, now I see what you mean -- casting to quad_t instead of long
before dividing, and then casting the result to long (it's better than
letting the assignment do the cast IMHO because we're casting down on i386).
I misunderstood you before.
I think it's a good idea, and better than my patch.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/