Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:36:33 +0100
From:      Martin Ibert <mib@asdis.de>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another problem with the ipfw patch - even bigger hole in the firewall on 4.0R (was: Re: ipfw security patch problem..)

[Sorry Justin! I forgot to Cc: the list when I replied to your mail, so you=
=20
now have it twice. :-( ]
At 08:00 26.01.2001 +0200, you wrote:
>I upgraded my ipfw yesterday on my 4.0-STABLE system with the patch by
>following the instructions to the letter for the security bug discovered
>by Aragon Gouveia, and compile and install appeared to go seamlessly.

We also tried to patch a 4.0-RELEASE system. We worked according to the=20
step-by-step instructions provided in the advisory. Some patches were=20
rejected and had to be done by hand, but apart from that, no major problems=
=20
were discovered during build and install.

However, the resulting combination of kernel and ipfw tool did not work! It=
=20
appears that the firewall took EVERY tcp packet to be part of an=20
"establised" connection and happily past setup packets in and out.

We quickly retraced our steps and reverted the system to its pre-patched=
 state.

Did anyone experience the same problems as we did? And does anyone have a=20
solution (short of upgrading to 4.2-RELEASE or better?)

--=20