Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 00:38:04 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: error when building kdebase-4.1b port

On 1998-06-12 14:02 +0200, Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE> wrote:
> /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h:1074: virtual memory exhausted
> cpp: output pipe has been closed

Either all (virtual) memory has been consumed,
or you hit a resource limit (see /etc/login.conf
and the output of the "limits" command).

> At this point in time there is more than 200 MB of virtual memory free
> on my system. The specified line (1074) in Xlib.h is the last line of
> the typedef of XEDataObject. Honestly, I do not quite see the point of
> exhausting virtual memory at this point.

Just compile the single file that requires that
much memory as "root" for higher resource limits.
Or increase your limits (up to the hard limits)
with the "limits" command.
Or, as a third option, increase the login class
limits of your account in /etc/login.conf ...

Gruss, STefan