Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 09:28:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Danny Dulai <nirva@ns1.zynet.com>
To:        spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu (steve farrell)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cannot fork with freebsd-stable

> i recently installed freebsd-2.1R, and since supped -stable, compiled a
> new kernel and set of libraries.  since then i've been having the
> following problem:  i get an error that i cannot fork a new process
> (actually, as root i usually can, but not always -- i guess this is
> supposed to protect against denial of service attacks...anyway....).  i
> thought at first that this was due to the fact that the libraries had
> changed on a live system, so i baked a new kernel (i set the max users
> up to 40 in case the process table was running out?) and rebooted.  24
> hours later i'm having the same problem!  help please, i don't want ot
> have to reboot every day!
>
> verbatim:
>
> zsh: fork failed: resource temporarily unavailable [92]
>
> (though, the number 92, i'm quite sure, is different from yesterday.  i
> think it was 250 or something yesterday...)
>
> (also, there are nowhere near 20 + 16 * 40 processes running right now
> -- actually there are 62 -- speaking of which, that seems to be my new
> hard limit =( ....until i reboot, at least.)

> [ kernel config file removed ]
>
> thanks!
>
> --steve farrell (who otherwise thinks freebsd is pretty damn nice...)

I'm also having the same problem, -stable seems to have messed
up my machines quite badly, not only do i run out of processes
a lot, but ram too. i have 128M swap and 64 megs ram, and it
used to work great on -release, it freaks under -stable.

I've converted two machines back to -release, gonna convert
this last one to -current probably if i dont find an answer
for these -stable problems... has any expereinced this?

Danny Dulai                                           Feet. Pumice. Lotion.
http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva                             nirva@ishiboo.com