Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 96 06:24:52 -0800
From:      Mun Fai WONG <mfwong@mol.net.my>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A few problems with motherboard and hard disk with 2.1R and  2.1.5R

Hi,
   I have just bought an Asus P6NP5 PCI board and a Micropolis 4421 SCSI-2
hard disk drive. However, I have run into a few problems with 2.1R and
2.1.5R with the new parts. The following are the configurations of the system:

   Asus P6NP5 motherboard (on-board IDE controller, I/O)
   Intel Pentium Pro 200
   32MB EDO RAM (non-parity)
   1.44M FDD
   Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI-2 controller
   Generic S3 Trio64 chipset PCI VGA card
   Micropolis 2217 and 4421 SCSI-2 HDD, Conner (540MB) IDE HDD
   SMC Elite16 combo Ethernet card

   1) When I try to install 2.1.5R onto the new 4421 drive, I keep getting
wrong
      geometry message, and at end of installation. Well, the installtion
process        itself is not quite a successful one as my August release
CD-ROM for 2.1.5R has       got a few dists with corrupted tgz files,
including the base, ie the bin.??       ones. What I had to do was actually
mount the live filesystem and manually copy
      those missing/corrupted files over to the filesystem afterwards.

      My questions are:
      1) I bought the CD-ROM about more than 1 month ago, and this is the
first time
         I used it, and I wonder if WC's warranty valids for that long ?

      2) I bought the new 4421 disk just for FreeBSD, and as a result, I do
not want
         to install a small FAT partition at the beginning of the disk and
then later          install FreeBSD on the rest of the disk. I wonder if
anyone has the correct
         geometry information for this particular model, ie Micropolis 4421.

      3) The other strange thing is that, when I have another Micropolis
SCSI-2 drive
         (model 2217) chained to the SCSI bus, the boot-up messages reveals
that, my
         4421 is having the following geometry (4049/7/147 for C/H/S). I
then use them
         as the geometry info in the partitioning manual during
installation, but          still get the same message saying incorrect
geometry. Why ?

    2) I used to have an SMC Elite16 combo card running well with an old ISA
board.         Now that I put the same card onto the new P6NP5, I keep
getting messages saying
       "failed to clear shared memory 0xcc000, check configuration".
       The fact is that there is absolutely no other card on the board
occupying that
       same mem address space. And I have verified that by pulling the card
out, plug
       it into a DOS box, running SMC diagnose program, and make many
changes to many
       different parameters, such as IRQ, RAM base addrss, base i/o.
However, no             matter what RAM base address I changes to, the next
time I boot it up with
       FreeBSD, I got the above message complaining the new address.

       Can someone please kindly tell me what is going on, and if there is a
solution
       to it.

    ANd finally, many thanks if you can kindly reply to the mail if you do
have any clues to my problems. I do not have access to FreeBSD newsgroups
with my current ISP
now, 8-((. If someone know of any public NNTP server that carries FreeBSD
groups, please kindly let me know too. Does freebsd.org have any intention
of doing so ?