Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:23:35 -0400
From:      Giridhar Viswanathan <gviswana@hns.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem  running XFree86

Hi,
 When I log into freeBSD 4.6, I get this error saying:
 ttyv8: getty( )  repeating too fast on port /dev/.......
This is generated by init if I try loading X at boot time (My /etc/ttys
file has the entry for X).
 If I try loading xdm at boot time, my screen keeps flickering (no idea
why), since the X starts up okay and if I do a startx at command prompt,
it loads beautifully into kde.  I tried using kdm instead of xdm and I
get the getty() error.  I am running XFree86 4.2.0.
  Any idea how to get rid of this problem and be able to load
automatically to xdm or kdm?
Thanks,
-Giri