Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:08:37 -0600
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        Bill <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: USB and gphoto ? which port ?

Bill wrote:
> Hello Family,
> I'm a little lost on the USB stuff for this is my first experience
> using it and it applies to a new digital camera and the program
> gphoto. With two USB ports I have a 4 port hub plugged into one, and
> the camera directly plugged into the other.
>
> <dmesg_outupt>
>
> ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> uhci0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) USB controller> port 0xe000-0xe01f irq 10
> at device 31.2 on pci0
> usb0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhub0: port 1 power on failed, IOERROR
> uhub0: port 2 power on failed, IOERROR
> uhub1: Kawatsu Semiconductor, Inc. MiniHub 4000P, class 9/0, rev
> 1.10/1.00, addr 2
> uhub1: 4 ports with 4 removable, bus powered
> umass0: HP USB DIGITAL CAMERA, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
> fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on
> isa0
>
> </dmesg_outupt>
>
> The camera is at the following:
>
> [umass0: HP USB DIGITAL CAMERA, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3]
>
> and I'd like to know how to direct gphoto to that address ? There is
> the standard field in gphoto that asks for the "port", there are the
> standard COM-1 through COM-4 options then there is a special "other"
> field and that's where I'm attempting to direct the connection.
>
> I've emailed all the links at the gphoto site and received nothing
> back.
> :(

The camera registers as umass device, hence it will look to the system
like a disk, not some serial device. Assuming you do not have any SCSI
disks, these commands might get you started (I don't have this camera
so I do not know if this will work for you):

as user root:

	mkdir /camera
	camcontrol rescan 0
	mount_msdos /dev/da0s1 /camera

If everything worked you should be able to see the 'contents' of the
camera in the directory /camera.

Gerd